Friday, May 6, 2011

An Even Better Day...for so many reasons

I am still bubbling over with good feelings and happiness. Last night my club held it's annual Cinco de Mayo event, the dreaded "Five Coves of Death". I think the name is a bit dramatic since we are in the safe haven of the Aquatic Park Cove, but it is a truly difficult swim. It begins at 5:00 pm and you swim five circuits of the cove which is roughly five miles if you hug the perimeter. And since it's May 5th the water is COLD! Do I harp on that theme a bit? Sorry, but it has been bothering me a lot. But last night I broke through the mental barrier and completed all five coves in 2:29 minutes. Last Sunday I had attempted the same thing and pulled out after only three. For the past few weeks I have not been able to stay in the bay longer than 1:30. Last night proved that it was just a mental hurdle and not I am over it. After the swim I was euphoric. The kind of high one rarely gets with out chemical assistant (heck even with chemicals it's rare). The camaraderie, the support, the excitement the fabulous weather, the fabulous food and friends all made for a wonderful event. I love the mighty South End Rowing Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment