Monday, August 1, 2011

Thank You

Thank you everyone for a lovely party at the South End Rowing Club last Friday. The Happy Hour was a perfect send off for my swim. I am feeling so lucky. At this point there is nothing more I can do that will benefit my chances, so I am enjoying myself, and swimming for pleasure. Now I just want to get to Dover and give it a try!


Some smart person reminded me to enjoy the anticipation and not wish it all away. So I am trying to. I have done all of the little tasks one does before they travel, and I am printing out emails full of well wishes and wisdom to read when the going gets tough, or just on the plane ride. And I would like to thank so many people who have been instrumental in getting me to this place. They are too numerous to mention by name, but I hope you all know how important you are to me, and how much your contribution has meant.


I need to thank my parents, all of them :-) for their never wavering support and their financial assistance. They think I can do this. Orinda Auqarics, whose financial contribution pushed me into to this in the first place, and Suzie. How do I thank someone who has been with me from the start. Suzie Dods convinced me that I could swim Gibraltar, and helped me train, but it was her own success with the English Channel and the Catalina Channel that inspired me to give this big swim a go. We often swam together on club swims, and she is always so encouraging. Then she connected me to the English Channel chat line and I was hooked. I have been reading about other swimmer's trials and tribulations and successes for two years now. Thank you Suzie for opening up my world to the possibilities... you are an inspiration, and a good friend.

This blog always seems to rah rah and Pollyanna, but I have to say that this crazy journey has been very positive. I have never been so happy and content in my own skin and in my own life. Hard work is a reward in itself. Succeed or fail, I will have benefited from training for this epic event. Now if I could just get the chance to do the bloody swim!!!

1 comment:

  1. We'll be rootin' for you Ranie and following your progress!!! Go gettum! Patty and Ted

    ReplyDelete