Thursday, August 11, 2011

To Calais the easy way by Ferry

Jackie, Dave, Jorge and I went to France on the Ferry. Partly to let Jorge see what the channel was like and partly to find the beach I landed on and see England from the other side. The Ferry ride took less that 1.5 hours and was warm and cozy. We could even shop for chocolates! We drove all over Calais and down a long long lane and then walked over a mile to the sea. God knows if it was the same place, but who cares, it was beautiful, it was France, and it was just like I remembered from Saturday morning. We played in the waves, but didn't swim. The wind was so strong that we couldn't have stayed even if we wanted to. Then we drove south to try and find Jackie's beach. We couldn't quite figure out how to get there by car so we went off to Cap Griz Nez and had lunch. The beach there was beautiful, but it was finally clear why a swimmer might get as far as a mile off France and still not make it in. The current was shocking and the wind was fierce. The pilots earn their fees if you are to have any hope of getting in. We drove along the coast road back toward Calais. The French countryside was beautiful. It was a wonderful trip. Easy peasy and home by 9:00 pm.
Jackie and Dave have been amazing host. So kind and generous. They have opened their home to me and Jorge and included us in their family chaos. The weather has been horrible. A few swimmers have gone out but I think only one was successful. I can't thank Jackie and Stuart enough for getting me out there before my window opened. If I had waited and tried to go as planned, I never would have gotten the chance to swim at all. I am so lucky. My entire trip has been like that. At every turn there was Jackie and Dave or Robert and Hannah making my dreams come true. This debt will be very tough to repay. I hope that they all come visit me in California.

3 comments:

  1. What fun to hear what you are doing!!!! I am so happy that you got to go early. Your weather wasn't that great either. I am still walking around in a happy cloud of your success constantly on my mind. Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting to follow your adventure, Ranie! Congratulations to you! Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adventurous journey over Calais. It would be even better if you travel sometime by Dover Calais ferry.

    ReplyDelete