Sunday, June 12, 2011

Wish I had a Picture...

I had such a fabulous day today, I wish I had a picture! Last night I got a text from Jimmy asking if I was swimming the club Yacht Harbor swim this morning so I decided to join him. It couldn't have been better. It was a super group. Jimmy being a triathlete, ran to the start while the rest of us had a fun ride in the zodiac with our intrepid pilot Diana. Jimmy, Bonnie, Kristin and I swam together in a tight pod (we were so well behaved)! It was so fun riding the flood. There were other swims out there so the place was crawling with kayak support, but we were a small group under Diana's watchful eye. At the opening I invited everyone to go on and swim an outside/inside, which they all declined, cold I guess. But they were kind enough to let me continue swimming and not get out to help care for the boat. So after the Yacht Harbor and the outside/inside I was on my way back from the opening to the club and who should meet swimming toward me but my hero from last Sunday, Mike Tzorgis (sp? I really should learn to spell his name since he keeps popping up and doing nice things for me). He was on his way to Fort Mason. I looked around and said, "Who are you swimming with?". His reply, "You". So I turned around and we swam against the flood to Fort Mason, and then rode it back. Again at the opening I asked if he wanted to do an outside/inside to extend out time in the water, but he had to meet someone and got out. I decided to make it an honest two hours so I turned right and headed for the flag. I checked the temperature at the flag, 56, and at the Balcutha, 59. So I figure I was out there in 57-58 degree water for 2 hours 10 minutes. I had to swim a bit harder than I do on my own to stay with my friends, and poor Mike probably had to slow down, but the camaraderie makes every hour so much easier. I hope I can channel those happy feelings when I am alone in the Straits of Dover...
So I swam eight hours this week. But school/work is out for SUMMER!!! So now I can get even more serious about my training. I am so excited, happy, well, and feeling strong!
And to cap off a good week, my friend John Brooks was successful in his Gibraltar Straits swim!!! He was put off two times by big winds, but was allowed to go Saturday, and he was successful!!! I am so proud of him. I hope this means that he will finally join the South End Rowing Club and keep on swimming! Lots of love, John, job well done!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment