Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer's Here...

It's finally hot here today! Not that the bay has warmed up, but my house has. Today I got to swim in the bay; my first weekday swim, yay! I got there around 7 am. Way too late for any Sunriser, and I had to deal with commuter traffic. Lesson learned. Leave earlier. I had planned to see how many outside/insides I could do in two hours, but there was a rip roaring flood so I tried, unsuccessfully to swim to Fort Mason. I really tried. Three times I went out there and slogged it out for more than thirty minutes. It was glorious. I didn't make it, but I got some good swimming in. It's like swimming on a treadmill, but way harder. I love it. The feel of the power of the water coursing all around you. It was a blast. And when I got tired I would float back to the opening and swim around the cove to recuperate and then try again. It was a fun workout. My plan this week is to swim 2 hours Tuesday (Bay) (done!), 3 hours in the pool Wednesday, 2 hours Thursday in the Bay, rest Friday, and then 3 hours both Saturday and Sunday in the Bay. This is a big increase of time from last week, but not from the two weeks before. So I think it's a good plan. I just need to get started early to avoid too much sun, traffic, and wind.
I must admit that I am a bit tired from the intensity of this morning's swim. But that's why the pool day in the middle. I will focus on technique and stretch out and swim relaxed.
I must say that I might not have made my goal today if it weren't for the nice man, Jeff?, I met at the flag this morning. I was a bit bored, so of course any excuse to talk to someone in the water, and he asked me what I was up to, and then offered to swim a bit together. He was faster than I was in the calm cove, but I was stronger in the flood outside. Funny how that is. It made me feel good to see that I had some power, if not speed. That might come in handy, who knows.
But in an email today my friend Steffan remarked that I was a social swimmer, which I guess I just proved to myself yet again. I would have followed Jeff anywhere and would have swum a lot longer, anything not to have to do another loop alone. I hope I can visualize my friends swimming with me in England. Or that the goal will be partner enough. I sure do prefer having a body in there with me. Must work on setting a goal and doing it. Oh right, that's what this whole bloody thing is about. Must learn to read the tide book, then I won't set unreasonable goals for my swims and feel bad about breaking them. Good plan, off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment