Monday, June 6, 2011

Ouch That Hurt

So Sunday was the Bay to Breakers swim. Ten plus miles from the Bay Bridge out under the Golden Gate Bridge into the open ocean, turn left and head south down the coast to Ocean Beach. It was AWESOME!!! The sea was "Greek Myth" quality as our race director Bill Wygant said. And the surf at the finish was epic and dangerous. Witness the large red projectile (Kayak) shooting out of the surf and aiming for me (small yellow head in the waves). I got a good solid bonk on my shoulder and to my cheek, but I could only think of how lucky I was not to get knocked out. It was an amazing swim. Two hours, thirty-seven minutes, starting with a touch of the Bay Bridge in smooth water, to some vortex like whirlpools, huge swells, as well as the famed "potato patch" under the Golden Gate Bridge. Not to mention the monster surf converging with I don't know what sort of water south of Seal Rock. It was exciting. We had a ton of supporters in the water in kayaks and zodiacs and even more people on the beach as well as a few surfers to rescue those in need, thanks Mike! It was one of the best days of my life. I had the best, funniest, and most entertaining pilot out there. Eddie you know what I mean, and thanks to Paul Saab's video so does everyone on facebook; pole dancing, and push-ups in a kayak? Seventeen intrepid swimmers touched the Bay Bridge and I think 14 stepped out onto the beach. I was the first woman out, which was a shock until I realized that only two women made it to the finish (yeah Ann!).

No comments:

Post a Comment