Sunday, July 24, 2011

Catalina Lessons

The panic was complete. My stomach was clutched with cramps. I hadn't succumbed to the vomiting yet, but I knew it was coming. The almost three hour boat ride from San Pedro to Catalina had almost been fun. But arriving in the pitch dark, it was now 11:30 pm, and knowing that Karen was about to try to swim all the way back to the mainland, was daunting, ok, terrifying. I was scared, what must she be feeling? We had motored out for almost three hours at a good clip, and now we would be heading back at swimmer speed, under two nautical miles an hour, a slow painful roil for those of us on the boat, and a long hard slog for Karen in the water. The reality of what she was about to do was sinking in. And I was thinking about doing this crazy stunt too? What kind of person would try such a thing? In the dark? I was freaked! We dropped anchor so that Karen could get ready to swim. Around us in the dark we could see and hear seals going after flying fish. It was all a bit too "circle of life" for me. I can only imagine how Karen felt. She was friendly, but quiet. I helped her put sunscreen everywhere, and Jen greased up the bits that chafe. And before I knew it she was standing at the railing, and after a moment or two of god only knows what sort of contemplation, she jumped in and swam to shore. I didn't learn until she finished that she had been holding on by a thread to the contents of her stomach. She was seasick and vomiting for the first three hours of the swim. I lasted until Karen's first feeding, sitting outside the cabin with a glow stick around my neck watching her swim. The rolling was beyond description. I had taken Bonine, but it was a losing battle. Just after her first feed, and everyone's encouragement, I went below to see if lying down might somehow be better. Before I could even get to the bunk I had to fly out to the stern barely making it to the railing before the projectile vomiting began. I threw up for what seemed like an hour, but was more likely five minutes. And then I went below and curled up in the fetal position and passed out. I don't know if it was the fear or the Bonine, but I was unconscious for the next three hours. I had no control over my own body. I was either throwing up or a sleep. Every three hours I seemed to be able to ask how things were going, but I was not very helpful. I think I cheered, or fed Karen three times. During the entire 14 hours? So embarrassing. But even after the sun came up I was unable to stay awake. As we neared the mainland, the people who had actually crewed for Karen, and helped her achieve her goal readied to swim in the last 500 yards. They kindly offered to let me join in the fun. Once I hit the water, I remembered what this was all about. It wasn't about me learning about channel swimming, it wasn't about being useful, and helpful, it was about swimming. And swimming in the ocean. And how much we love swimming in the ocean. The water was beautiful, the sun was out, and Karen had swum the Catalina Channel. It was a powerful moment. She was amazing! She battled sickness, dark, fear of marine life, and time. And she made it!!! (www.thelongswim.blogspot.com) It was very moving. All the bad stuff melted away in the water. Maybe not all, I am still very humbled by what she accomplished, and terrified of what I am about to do, but I am not curled up in the fetal position asleep. I am swimming, although much reduced since I am officially tapering, and packing and planning for my big adventure.
Way to go Karen, I am in awe of you, and so proud to have been a witness to your accomplishment. I hope I can live up to your example.

No comments:

Post a Comment